Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Upgraded" from Kingston 4GB USB Flash Drive to Patriot Xporter 8GB USB Flash Drive

I traded "up" and got a Patriot XPORTER 8GB (not the XT designated model) USB Flash drive, to replace my "little" 4gb Kingston USB Flash Drive. I had only purchased the 4gb a month or two ago for $20, and the 8gb xporter was $30 on sale last week, so thats why I picked it up, plus I have a friend that could use the 4gb drive.

While the space is an upgrade, the performance is around 50% when compared to the kingston. The kingston can read (most of the drive) at 33mb/sec, while the Patriot Xporter only manages a steady 14mb/sec across the whole drive. Writing is nearly half of the kingston also, though I can't recall what I calculated for write speeds, since the program I used (HDTACH) only supports reading tests (RAW, not filesystem based as far as I know), and I just manually calculated the writing speeds by writing a 150MB file to each drive and timed them.

In this case, I'm willing to accept the speed downgrade for the doubled capacity, allowing me to store/transfer some rather large files when I need to, or simply not have to "clean it up" as often, in order to make sure I have room on it.

No comments: