Sunday, July 19, 2009

Windows Update fails in Vista using Shaw Internet using "Automatically Detect Settings"

If you've got Vista installed on a PC or Laptop computer, but your Windows Update is failing (I can't remember with what code off-hand, as I'm not typing this the same day/week I ran into this problem, though I will update the post if I run into it again, or feel like re-creating the problem), simply try the following:

In Internet Explorer 7 or 8, open the Tools Menu (press the ALT key once if the menu bar is hidden), choose Internet Options down at the bottom of the Tools Menu, Choose the Connections Tab from the list of tabs across the top, Choose LAN Settings down near the bottom right of the window, and make sure to UNCHECK "Automatically Detect Settings".

Problem should be solved, simply try Windows Update again, this has fixed the error for me on several machines... I don't know if its my local shaw proxy server that is being detected, and failing for some unknown reason.. but, thought I would blog about it since its happened several times in the past, and seems to be better to simply disable the proxy anyways.

fi.

edit: apparently i have an older post in my blog that describes this exact issue, including the error codes... and here I was thinking my blog could act as my memory on some things... go figure :p

No comments: